Thursday, March 01, 2007

Reading Time

The only pleasant aspect of my long commute to and from work is my reading time. I drive halfway and take public transportation (metro). The second part of my commute has become my prime reading time. Last year tackled classics such as "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy, "A Room With a View" by E. M. Forster, and "Emma" by Jane Austen. This year I am reading modern fiction and memoirs and maybe later in the Spring I will go back to classics. So far this year I have read:

- "The Glass Castle: A Memoir" by Jeannette Walls
- "Running with Scissors: A Memoir" by Augusten Burroughs
- "Little Children" by Tom Perrotta
- "About Alice" by Calvin Trillin

I enjoyed all of them very much . Reading on a public place is can be embarrassing because I laugh, giggle, chuckle or even cringe. The last book, however, made me cry. The book is so sincere and talked about a strong and wonderful woman, Alice, who succumbed to lung cancer in 2001. Alice was described by a friend as someone who:

"managed to navigate the tricky waters between living a life you could be proud of and still delighting in the many things there are to take pleasure in".

The book was written by her husband of almost 40 years, who still adores her. It's a truly beautiful story.

The next one on my book pile is "Him Her Him Again The End of Him" by Patricia Marx that is supposed to be funny and witty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home