Thursday, September 13, 2007

Indulgence

The meaning of indulgence has changed in so many ways for me lately. Before I would indulge myself with a decadent dessert, an exotic dish, a 5 star restaurant, a massage, a bottle of champagne... Now sleeping past 6 am is my biggest indulgence. I had a long and stressful day on Tuesday. When I got home I decided to indulge myself with spicy crab cakes and beer.

I live very close to Maryland -- famous for blue crabs. Every restaurant and every family pride themselves with their own take on crab cakes. Restaurants like Clyde's have a very light crab cake that hasn't much there besides crab meat. That's the recipe I make more often. This time I made a hot and spicy recipe.


Light and Spicy Crab Cakes

1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
1-1/3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
1/3 cup minced green onions
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon 2% low-fat milk
2 teaspoon hot sauce
2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 egg whites
1-1/3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
Lemon wedges (optional)

Combine first 10 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Divide crabmeat mixture into 8 equal portions. Place 1-1/3 cups breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Dredge crabmeat portions in breadcrumbs, shaping into patties about 3-1/2 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.
Heat 1 tablespooon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-highheat. Add 4 patties, and cook 3 minutes. Carefully turn patties over,and cook 3 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with the remaining oil and patties. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home