Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Holiday Season is Upon Us

I adore the Holiday Season. People are cheerful, we visit family and friends, we give and receive gifts, and of course, we eat, eat, eat.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I have to confess that I haven't done any grocery shopping for Thanksgiving yet. My husband and I decided not to travel and since we don't have family in town and all our friends are traveling we are going to have an intimate dinner for just the two of us - I mean three, but the baby cannot eat turkey yet.
I will roast a small turkey and make all the trimmings with a twist. I caught the end of an interview on NPR (National Public Radio) where a cook was talking about old fashioned holiday dishes. It inspired me to cook all the usual sides in an unusual way. One of the things I am looking forward to is a Sweet Potato Casserole made with raw grated sweet potato and ginger. Even the gravy is going to be the way her mother used to make, the recipe that was passed from generation to generation. Because we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Brazil, I don’t have family recipes that were passed down. I am “borrowing” other family’s tradition and hopefully make it my own. That’s so exciting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home