Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Retail Therapy

I haven't cooked much lately. Since I got pregnant - it seems like a long time ago - my stomach has been very picky with tastes and smells. My diet now consists of ice-cream, cereal, and chocolate. Sometimes it's very frustrating, if I go to parties or restaurants my choices are limited to sweets. Not to mention the weight I have put on. Anyway, since I am due soon and I hope to start cooking again I decided to give my kitchen a makeover. I went to Macy's last weekend and walked straight to the Kitchen Department. I found a casual dinnerware set that's lightweight, dishwasher and microwave safe, and the design is just right for the day to day use. No more mismatched plates, cups, and bowls. I have formal dinnerware sets for special occasions but never really bought a complete set (service for 12) of casual dinnerware. I am very happy with my purchase. When I was walking to the check out line I saw a cast iron skillet. I have been thinking of buying one for a long time. They only had a set of three, so I thought, why not?! I also bought a cast iron griddle. I am running out of storage space in the kitchen, I am already storing things in the hallway closet. Next item on the kitchen makeover list: a new cutlery set.
Now, back to the cast iron skillets and griddle. I knew I had to season them before using but nobody told me how smelly it can be. I rubbed them inside and out with oil and heated for 60 minutes in a 300 degree oven. A few minutes later they started smoking and the entire house had a burned smell. I turned the oven off after 60 minutes but I think they needed to stay longer, the oil didn't dry out. I might have to do another round of 60 minutes in the oven but I am procrastinating because I don't want to have my house smelling like that again. Next day I baked muffins and they came out with a cast iron smoky flavor, yikes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home